Thursday, February 4, 2010

Upon turning fifty-five

 

I have not given a lot of worrisome thought to turning fifty five today. Wow, it looks strange when you spell it out. Falls into that debate of do you say two thousand and ten or twenty ten? Sadly, in the end; just not all that important.

I have often said that I was indeed, born old. Yes. I do believe that.

Samuel Clemens was book ended in his birth and death by the arrival of Halley’s Comet. I had no such celestial herald. Both my coming and I am sure my going will have governance by the Lord to be nothing extraordinary nor vivacious. I have, for the entirety of my existence been void of any frolicsome adolescents.

When I was born, Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th President of the United States. Just eight days after my birth, he sent the first advisors into South Vietnam. For a while, Winston Churchill was still Prime Minister of Great Britain.

TV was only available in limited areas and came in various shades of two colors: black and white. If, you got all the channels available; you got three.

On April 18th of that year, Albert Einstein passed away and actor James Dean was killed in a car crash. He was twenty four.

This one is of interest to me: on July 17th of the year I was born, Disneyland was opened in Anaheim, California.

The very first edition of the Guinness Book of Records is published, in London. Elvis is caught on film for the first time in Cleveland, Ohio.

In December Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white person, and the national civil rights movement begins. The Salk polio vaccine was approved.

There was of course a whole years worth of events, but those were some of the more interesting ones.

Oh, almost forgot; there were only 48 stars on the American Flag.

Told you….I’m old.

No comments: