Saturday, July 18, 2009

on Palimpest

Palimpsest

Catherynne M. Valente

BANTAM BOOKS

 

I do not want to be considered neither a critic nor a reviewer of books. I certainly have no aspirations of being either. I will, however share my thoughts on this book. Happily I may add.

Have you ever just wanted to get away? Be somewhere else? Long to explore a place just past most anything you can ever imagine?  Have you ever wondered where and what is beyond the end of your journey? In a word, it is Palimsest. This is why I read! I want to escape and I want to do so in the most radiant colors and in the darkness of a blistering light. Explore the back alleys of the city beyond the wall of your experience.

The English printed word has a most perfect paint brush and it is the mind and skill of Catherynne M. Valente. She has delivered a place to be lost. A dark place exploited by the brightness of a subdued summer sun. A place to explore your own thoughts impregnated by  a desire to never return to your own version of the real world. Welcome to streets of cream and a book without words. Let the seaweed cling to your eyes and let the bees take flight with your comfort. It is all here, in the city of Palimpsest; all you have to do is get off the train.

Buy this book. Read it. Enjoy your language. I not only liked it; I liked it a lot.

Discover her at http://www.catherynnemvalente.com/.

No comments: