Thursday, August 6, 2009

Will I have to take a “Voigh- Kompff”?

Sitting in my cancer support group meeting this week it became very evident that as “Cancer” patients/survivors/family members, we are feeling a need to be leery of the coming prejudice against us. Anyone remember the movie Blade Runner; which was 'loosely' based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick?

I am beginning to hear a unified concern by select groups who are becoming more and more uneasy with not being perfect. Not being perfect! Can you fathom that? My Lord, in the year 2009, it is becoming clearer with each passing day that being human is no longer accepted. Now we must be super human; without flaw or blemish. Does this sound familiar to anything we have seen not too long ago?

Persecution is as old as our species. If you believe the Bible as history and not just a bed time story book, it started with the first siblings and looks to be making its way into our lives this very second. Don't look over your shoulder. And don't think your safe because your in the United States.

Will we have to wear a scarlet ' C ' on our chest? No, that probably will not happen (ANYTIME SOON). No, the ever present THEY is too clever for that. We will have to endure insurance change prior to that. You know, insurance; the new SS !!!!!!! Hell, I thought being afraid of the IRS was the worst ‘1984-ish thingy’ possible. Now; well, I think you follow me here.

We are not perfect; and society has no room for the blemish of Cancer (and all the other abnormalities humans get) any more. If you are sick or old; beware! Overpopulation compounded by a world wide recession which teeters on the brink of total social collapse is no longer the stuff of science fiction. It is the reality of today. Will there be Cancer colonies? Will there be the passing of humane elderly termination laws? How do you think this new world will look back on Dr. Kevorkian? I guess that health care will mean 'crib' selection and pre-natal societal 'Norms' committees.

We, us, you and I are becoming the “skin jobs” of a Blade Runner world and it is happening now. Right now. And, chances are pretty good that you believe in God. Oh no, you have a disease and you believe? Wake up. History does repeat itself.

I am not trying to scare you. That has more than likely been done already. I want to encourage you to find out what is happening right now, right here in your country. Please inform yourself and become involved. You (we) do not have the privilege to just sit back and think we are watching a summer mega block buster. I would never insult any of you and tell you which side of the current Health Care debate to be on. I will ask that you do look at the issue and do what you think is best. There are plenty of resources out there to help with this. You (we) just have to take the time and do it. Call, maybe write your government officials and let them know where you stand. If you can, maybe give of either your time or money to a cause specific group. Be a part of the solution.

I do not want to live in a country or world that thinks I am no longer viable. I do not want my grand children to carry the shame of my Cancer. Damn it. I will not be a skin job and I will not run. I do not dream of electric perfect people.

No comments: