Thursday, February 2, 2012

If only my heart was so {e}intreated.

This is a copy of the newsletter I sent to my support group this morning in advance of my trip to see my daughter and her family. I would ask for prayers of a safe trip and one full of happiness. I will return at the end of next week at which time I am sure I will have some exciting (to me) things to share.

Reminder [rɪˈmaɪndə]
n
1. something that recalls the past
2. a note to remind a person of something not done

I am thinking of usage number 2 by using number 1.

I have for most of my life been a note taker, a journalist of my time and a lover of notebooks. I have years and years of old notebooks with notes, random thoughts, travels and travails. My desk and my book shelves are full of old notebooks. This is not to say I have had an interesting or a particularly exciting life. On the contrary, I just find others and other things so much more interesting that I choose to chronicle them for my own personal memory. On my person, in my car, almost never missing from me is my current ‘Field Notes‘ brand of notebook which is my REMINDER of choice. I give you it’s corporate by line which is so apropos for me:

“I’m not writing it down to remember it later, I’m writing it down to reminder it now.” 

On January 24, 1848, James Marshall discovered gold in the American River, causing the California Gold rush. It is thought that about one hundred and fifty thousand Native Americans lived in California at the time. The settlers, which followed from the East brought with them both disease and violence. In 1850 California passed the so-called “Act for the Government and Protection of the Indians.” Just one year later saw the State endorse the extermination of Native peoples. At five dollars ahead in some places, a total of one million dollars was invested in the systematic murder of men, women and children. By 1870, only an estimated thirty-one thousand California Natives had survived.

On or about March 11, 1854 Chief Seattle of the Suquamish gave a speech he spoke in the Lushootseed language, and someone translated his words into Chinook jargon, and a third person translated that into English. This may not be exact word for word translation, but we can get the beautiful heart which belonged to Chief Seattle.:

 “One thing we know, which the White Man may one day discover – our God is the same God. You may think that you own Him as you wish to own the land; but you cannot. He is the God of humanity, and his compassion is equal for the red man and the white. The earth is precious to him, and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its Creator. Even the white man cannot be exempt from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all. We shall see.” 

I do not pass this along as a way of bashing the white man as being all evil nor to destroy the integrity of this wonderful country. On the contrary; our warts and short comings are part of who we are and what makes us really great. I offer it as a reminder of what is good and strong and what has gone into us to make us a noble nation and people. You, my friends are a part of that history and so much more. Part pretty and part pure and grand. Part dark and ugly and no doubt, something we would like to forget.

The story above was used as defined as use number 1 above. Now I offer use number 2.

Next Tuesday evening is our monthly meeting. The meeting is at 6:00 PM at the Pima Co. Medical Society located at 5199 E. Farness Drive. I want to remind you all, that coming together and holding each other up in spirit and friendship is a privilege. It is for each of us and it only works if we remember to make the meeting. I trust each of you will and can gather together this month as I want to again let you know that I will be in the far North with my grandchildren. After some consideration, I have decided not to take my laptop as I want to maximize my time with my daughter and her family. I will remember you, I will pray for you and I will look forward to March, so I can once again be in your embrace. After all, we are all brothers (and sisters) under the same sky, traveling on the same earth through the same stars; all by the grace of SAME God.

Enjoy the Super Bowl if that is your thing. Enjoy the commercials if the game is somewhat unimportant. 

Make sure you see or contact Michelle Schulter for tickets or details for the Gaslight event. Remember to circle April 21st on your calendar and the time is 6 PM.

I know you will all have a good time together. Please remember to Love one another. Hold each other up in strength and with kindness. Take a few minutes and offer a prayer for Frank. The trials we all face require our best, our most and our finest efforts; because Cancer sucks.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: