Sunday, September 5, 2010

Coffee on Main Street

To be honest, while I lived there, I never really appreciated the rich history of the city of Safford. All the locals were always saying how special the town was. Not that it is a ‘vortex’ sight like Sedona, but just a pure oh spit of a town that oozes Americana like a Norman Rockwell painting blown up into a life size ‘sandbox’ for those who live there to enjoy.

I did not take the time to go to every place of interest, I may at some later date, but I simply took the time to enjoy my surroundings and, have a lazy sunny morning cup of coffee and watch a little bit of time float by my eyes and ears and nose and my tongue. Coffee is really about the only thing I can enjoy in public, food wise, and enjoy it I did.

I hope you enjoy this slice of the Arizona South West that while it has changes, still hangs on to the past as a coat of many colors.

IMG_2331

Just one of the many old homes that I would sometimes pass. The town is full of them.

IMG_2335

This is what $44,606.41 would buy you in 1916. The Graham County Courthouse is a neo-colonial brick building with Tuscan columns.

IMG_2336

Yes, that’s one of the many street lights you will see all along Main Street. They are beautiful when lit; to be honest, I am unsure if they work today, but I recall them as being just amazing on a cool winters evening back in the day when the city still celebrated the birth of Christ.

IMG_2337

Yes, It is Main St.

IMG_2334

IMG_2339

IMG_2338

There it is. On the West end looking East.

IMG_2340

See, all those lights. All along the street.

IMG_2341

That’s the Safford City Hall. Built in 1898 at a cost of $5,400.00, it was the original High School. No, not the one I went too. It was remodeled in the 40’s and became the City Hall after Safford was incorporated in 1901.

IMG_2342

I told you I was up and on the road early. 8:23AM and I am downtown already and looking for a cup of coffee, my thermos was dry already.

IMG_2343

Are you kidding me? A town square with a town clock. Man, I so miss the pace of this little spot on earth.

IMG_2344

The North side.

IMG_2345

IMG_2352

IMG_2353

From the East end looking back to the West. That’s the Court House at the end in the distance.

IMG_2354

Where I learned to love salsa!

IMG_2355

IMG_2356

IMG_2347

While Pollock’s is not on main street, but is on the Hwy., I wanted to take a picture of it as it is often mentioned amongst my FB friends from high school.

IMG_2348

and………  one more stop today. I went to Thatcher to see if my old church was still there. It was an old store front church that was originally a hardware store. No luck; it was long gone, however I did go by what it became and I believe the old members would be fairly proud of what occurred over the years.

IMG_2350

IMG_2351

Well, there is your trip down Main Street. I know it’s not a colorful as Main Street USA in Disneyland; but in another way… it may, just may be better in certain ways.

{a trip up the mountain tomorrow}

No comments: